Website URL: www.studyspanish.com
Grade/Age Level: Most appropriate for high school and up.
Language & Content: English (Spanish Grammar)
1) What is the intended purpose of the software or website?
To help students of Spanish with grammar and vocabulary.
2) What is the content of the software or website and how is it presented?
The content is mostly Spanish grammar (some vocabulary). It is in a list format. Very easy to use.
3) What external documents does the software or website include? Are they effective?
This site is self-contained. Many sites link to this one though.
4) In what ways is the software or website interesting to the target audience?
I'm making a big deal about this site even though I keep using that ugly word "grammar." And grammar isn't that interesting to most people. However, I tell my students that if I wasn't clear on something that they should try this website and some of the quizzes that go along with a particular grammar point. Those that take my advice usually come back the next class with both praise for the website and a better understanding of the topic at hand.
5) For what language goal(s) is this software or website useful/effective?
This website is most useful for grammar points.
6) Does this program or website offer practice? Assessment? Feedback? Of what kinds? (give examples) There are quizzes and tests with immediate feedback. There are multiple choice and fill in the blank questions.
7) Is this software or website easy to use? (i.e., navigation, layout, etc.) Very easy to use. It has a nice straight-forward layout with navigation links remaining on the left side. It's hard to get lost on this website.
8) What are the strengths of this software or website? It is without a doubt the most complete website I've seen for the study of Spanish grammar. And that's just on the free side of the site. I've never purchased a membership, but it appears that there is even more.
9) How can this software or website be improved? From a technical standpoint, I wouldn't change anything. I like that it's not too "glitzy." There are no distractions. And from a content standpoint, I think it is doing exactly what it is intended for - teaching Spanish grammar. I would be hard pressed to change much about it.
2 comments:
Hi Sr. Trammell,
In the future, you don't have to put the review in this format. You can do more of a narrative. However, if you like it this way, feel free to continue using it.
Also, is this the site that you are using for the external documents assignment? If so, you are going to have to think about what it is missing, as you will have to fill in the gaps for the assignment.
I have seen this site reviewed in the past as well. It was impressed with the amount of material that is there and I actually think that the textbook approach here is carried out well, complete with examples, not examples, and cognitive skills work. However, it is far from complete.
What would you recommend for further work in USING the grammar? That is one thing that this site doesn't do well (the quizes don't count in my opinion :)
Dan
Whenever someone asks me for the best website to use for learning Spanish, I always run a google again before I answer. I always see this one, and don't look at it because I see you have to register adn pay for it. I haven't even clicked on the link in a while. It looks like there is a lot more available than there was before.
My 8th graders just bombed the writing portion of their test that required them to use "tener que" and "hay que". I'm putting a link to the practice from this site on the class' online environment tomorrow.
Thanks.
Post a Comment